Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Digging up the past in Vegas!

While in Las Vegas, the family history
ball started rolling! Back in 1957 Jason's
Grandad appeared in Life Magazine. My
in-laws have a gorgeous picture of him (Dell)
with one of his many horses that hangs on their
office wall. It was taken by the photographers
from Life Magazine. After a google search, we
found the actual magazine he appeared in. Gary
and Jason both ordered copies of the original
magazine and ours is on its way. I can't wait!
I'll share the magazine with you when it arrives. Dell had one of the original horse ranches
in Las Vegas. Jason and I were lucky enough
to live in his last home when Summer was born.
I never got to meet Dell, but I feel a connection
to him through those 2 years we lived there.
He had some incredible race horses and this photo
(above) shows him on the left with his father
(Jason's Great-Grandad) on the right. The horse
in the photo was their biggest winner. His name
was John Herald. He was Grandad's pride & joy!
One more photo I have to share is this one!
Hollywood actor John Payne (most famous for
his role as attorney Fred Gailey in
Miracle on 34th Street in 1947) wanted
a cowboy photo taken and they had him pose
with some real life cowboys (Dell in the middle
and his brother Cornell on the left). I love this
photo of Dell! He was one very handsome man.
I can't wait for our magazine to arrive. I'll
share it with you, I promise!

3 comments:

kandy said...

How cool is that? You Stewarts have a great history!

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing Jen! Weston will really enjoy these photos!

Angela said...

How fun! What a great discovery!!